DIY brightening mask

As a nod to my recent post, where I share with you some ways to achieve a more natural glow to your skin, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite hydrating, brightening masks, which you can make right at home for just a few dollars.

The first time I used this mask I was suffering from a seriously self-esteem-shattering breakout on the side of my face, after using the really shitty cheap makeup that sparked my want to learn about beauty products. I remember washing it off, & even though the breakout was still there, obviously, my skin was so bright & glowing. I honestly couldn't believe it. Over a short amount of time, regularly using this mask really helped heal my skin & get it back to its normal state.

All the ingredients in this mask work together, each applying their individual properties to really brighten, exfoliate, & hydrate the skin in the gentlest of ways. The healthy coconut-derived fat in the yogurt hydrates, the acid in the lemon helps break down dead skin to brighten, & the oatmeal gently exfoliates: all the things you need for your skin to glow.

If you are able to, buy organic ingredients to ensure the utmost purity in what you're applying to your face. If you can't do that, don't worry, this mask still rocks & is a lot better than half the stuff they sell to you in stores. Let the pamper session begin! 

What you'll need:

2 tbsp plain organic coconut yogurt
1/2 tbsp oatmeal
1/2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice

Instructions:

Mix all the ingredients together.
Carefully apply the mixture evenly onto your face. 
Leave on your skin for 15-20 minutes.
Before rinsing the mask off, moisten your hands & gently exfoliate your skin with it in circular motions (do this above a sink, as bits of the mask will fall off).
Rinse, & gently pat dry your skin with a clean towel.
You can follow by toning & moisturizing if you'd like. Enjoy!

Let me know if you try this mask, & what you thought of the results!
Until next time! xo

28 comments:

  1. ninegrandstudentMarch 8, 2015 at 9:21 AM

    Try adding tumeric or honey for an extra glow-giving mask! x

    NINEGRANDSTUDENT: A Student Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh wow, this sounds like such a lovely recipe! DIY natural masks intrigue me, but I've never been bothered to give one a go haha. I will definitely have to try this one one day!

    Tasha // shiwashiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that there are just 3 ingredients, I always mean to make my own masks but sometimes when there are a lot of ingredients it starts to feel like a bit of a faff. This is one I will definitely try though, sounds wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love DIY masks! I have a 2 in 1 wash and mask but it always feels nice to use real organic products on your face. Will have to try this - saving it for later!

    cottonandcandie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a good change from me eating all the coconut yoghurt!

    Annabel ♥
    Mascara & Maltesers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Never saw this particular combination before. Gotta go out and buy some lemons :P

    Sheri | Behind The Frames

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummy!!! Looks like the perfect breakfast <3 thanks for sharing

    https://aspoonfulofnature.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds great! My skin is really in need of some brightening up, so I might try this out very soon.

    xx Mimmi, Muted Mornings

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I am a new reader here and I love your blog :D! I am not sure I have seen coconut yoghurt in the supermarket I frequent here in Germany. Will plain yoghurt also do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can totally relate to this. I've never tried coconut yogurt though! X

    Black and Navy on the blog-
    hailandharmony.blogspot.ie
    // BLOGLOVIN

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so easy and sounds so nice! I'll definitely have to save the recipe and give it a go some time. xx

    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  12. Going to have to give this one a go! Brightening masks are well needed at the moment!


    www.bombcosmetics.me

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me know if you do, & how you like it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very easy, just a nice little treat on a day when maybe you're not feeling too well! Plus it smells really good on your face, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can use regular yogurt as well, really any yogurt will work as it has plenty of fat in it to moisturize your skin. Thanks for reading! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for reading! Plain yogurt will work just as well! I just chose coconut one for the healthier fats in it, which have many skin benefits, & because I wanted to keep the recipe completely vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha! It really does, it smells good enough to eat honestly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, lemons are great for you! They're amazing little fruits, & so awesome for your skin in particular. They help brighten it heaps! xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Haha! Very true, although this mask does smell really good, almost good enough to eat! xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do as well! They're great as opposed to maybe going to Lush & spending $7 on a mask that you may not use all of. This mask is really nice, & refreshing while also beneficial! xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree with you. I don't really like making anything with too many ingredients, tbh! This one you can easily throw together, slap on your face & you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am definitely trying that! I've heard such good things about turmeric, so I'll have to give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hopefully you will! I never really was interested in DIY masks, tbh, but this one is one that I tried & actually loved, so I wanted to share it with my readers <3 Let me know if you ever do!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm going to give this a try soon!
    www.goldandhearts.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. This sounds interesting, might give it a try at some point (if I remember, I'm terrible remembering stuff lol)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha, I'm the same way! I'll read something that I'll get excited about, then completely forget about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hopefully you'll love it! <3 Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete

pale lily. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.