vegan summer salad with quinoa

With the way the weather has been, I literally lose half of my body's water content each time I walk out the door. I've really enjoyed eating & drinking refreshing things: lots of uncooked veggies &  iced everything. 

An easy meal for me is this salad, made with summer veggies & quinoa. I can prep everything & stick it in the fridge until I'm ready to eat it, then I simply season it. It's been one of my favorite things to eat lately. Best of all, it's super nutritious & healthy, as well as completely vegan friendly.

Summer Salad with Quinoa
Serves 2

1 medium cucumber, sliced however you prefer
A handful of cherry tomatoes, halved 
About 2 cups of curly green kale, thinly shredded
1 cup uncooked quinoa (makes 2 cups once cooked)
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon
Salt, to taste

Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package (conventionally, it is one part quinoa to two parts water, brought to a boil together then to low heat for about 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed). Let it cool for about one hour. If you're making this ahead of time, you can put the quinoa in a container & chill it until you're ready to eat it. It's good for about 2 days.

In a bowl, throw in all your prepped veggies. Add the quinoa & seasonings. Stir until everything is incorporated. Optionally, you can top your salad with half of an avocado & serve it with a slice of lemon for some extra zing. 

This salad is seriously perfect on those super hot days. You can make it for you & your friends & take it to the beach, a BBQ or maybe a picnic. It also makes a great takeaway lunch for us working folk! Just, uhh... make sure you ignore the fact that I completely forgot the kale in this picture :D

Let me know if you try out the recipe, & share what you thought of it.

I'm sending each of you lots of love & well-wishes. 

Until next time, xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

pale lily. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.